Getting to and from the Airport by Train, Bus, or Taxi
Obviously there will be cabs lined up at the airport to take you to your hotel. However, there is also plenty of options using public transportation. Update: There is only 1 terminal now for all flights! The easiest option is to take a train directly from the Airport to the City Center. Follow these steps:
- Grab your luggage and exit into the terminal.
- You will see an electronic ticket machine, which you can use to buy your one-way ticket to the city center, it takes cash, coins, and credit cards. If you’re short on time, just buy your ticket onboard the train.
- There is an escalator ramp that you should see as soon as you exit the baggage claim area. You are going to want to take this ramp, and follow the skywalk to the left.
- At the end of the skywalk, go through the doors, and down to the right and you will be on the platform. Any train you see here will take you to Krakow.
- Get on the train, and if you haven’t already bought a ticket, use the automated machine on board. Don’t feel like using the machine? Or maybe it’s broken? Just take a seat and wait for a conductor to come to you- they will be happy to sell you a ticket. (Note: If you have bought your ticket already, just find a seat. A conductor will check your ticket later.)
- Most travlers will want to get off at the stop Dworzec Glowny or Main Station. If this is where you get off, you will be dropped at Platform 3, and you can follow the signs to get through Galeria Krakowska and onto the streets of Krakow!
Tickets for the train are 8zl per person, one-way. The journey takes around 18 minutes (although we’ve done it in 15). And the train will leave the airport at :16 and :46 past the hour, every hour. (Note there is a short break in train service from midnight-4am, if you find yourself at the airport at this time, you may need to follow the bus directions below.)
To take the bus: You can also take either the 292 or 208, or 902 at night, and get off at the stop Dworzec Główny Wschód, the closest stop to the Main Square. This stop is actually located behind the shopping mall, Galeria Krakowska, and in the Main Bus Station terminal. For times and other stops, check Jakdojade.pl. Remember to buy a Zone I-II ticket, single-journey (4zl), unless you are going to hop onto another bus or tram to reach your destination, in which case you should buy a Zone I-II ticket that is timed, I would suggest 60 or 90 minutes depending on where you are headed.
The best taxi service to use in town is iCar. They are loads cheaper than just grabbing a regular cab, have reliable service and drivers, provide users with a password so that no one steals their cab, and can be reached at the following number: +48 12 653 55 55